The recent endorsement of John McCain as the AZ Right to Life PAC pick over JD Hayworth is such an egregious affront to those of us who know the pro-life record of both candidates that we, in good conscience, cannot remain as active members of AZRTL.* We will not try to defend such a decision to those who stand aghast, and ask us how such an outcome could have happened. Our absence from AZRTL events will speak for us. To our knowledge, John McCain never attended any of the events, unlike JD and his wife, Mary. Possibly we will also attain high praise and an endorsement for not attending as well.
We do not know the true motivation that led to this endorsement. We wonder how AZRTL PAC could have endorsed non-incumbent Gov. Huckabee over Sen. McCain in the presidential primary, but now, despite no redeeming votes from Senator McCain, give him the endorsement citing incumbency and an electability factor. Actually, incumbency has been a detrimental factor in a number of key contests this election cycle.
We do know that John Jakubczyk has been a long-time advocate and apologist for John McCain and considers McCain a good friend. We do know that Jakubczyk has a vote and a strong voice on PAC endorsements. We do know that McCain contributes thousands of dollars to AZRTL. We do know that Jakubczk’s stance on illegal aliens is sympathetic to McCain’s position (at least before his last campaign conversion) and the position of the U.S. Council of Catholic Bishops (USCCB). Although we are Catholics, we agree with the large majority of Catholics who oppose the illegal alien position taken by the USCCB (Zogby poll, March 2010).
For the record, here are some of McCain’s positions taken against AZRTL priorities:
– Voted multiple times for taxpayer funded fetal tissue research (experimenting on aborted fetuses). www.kaisernetwork.org/reports/2000/02/kr000217.8.htm
– Voted repeatedly for taxpayer funded Embryonic Stem Cell (ESC) research (killing of human embryos). http://www.stemcellresearch.org
– Disingenuously confused the public with his advocacy of the all-encompassing “stem cell research” term instead of clarifying the difference between adult stem cell research and embryonic stem cell research which, despite all the billions spent on ESC, has been a complete failure. ESC is pushed by the abortion industry to diminish the sanctity of human life. If there is one policy McCain has been consistent about, it is ESC research. He stated he was for it because Nancy Reagan favored it. Adult Stem Cell research has been immensely successful and is being used to treat over 80 diseases and afflictions.
– McCain was on the advisory board of Christine Todd Whitman’s Political Action Committee, IT’S MY PARTY TOO. This PAC advocated for the elimination of the pro-life and pro-family planks from the Republican Platform.
– Sponsored the infamous Campaign Finance Reform Bill with abortion advocate Russ Feingold. This act prevented RTL organizations from exposing the political records of federal candidates 60 days before the general election and 30 days before the primary election. It was appropriately called the “incumbent protection act,” and was eventually declared unconstitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court.
– McCain’s legislation forced Wisconsin RTL into a lengthy and costly court battle eventually leading to the US Supreme Court in which RTL prevailed. McCain submitted a “friend of the court brief” to the Supreme Court against the RTL position.
– McCain never spoke on the Senate floor in favor of the sanctity of life. http://townhall.com/blog/g/ca2ed7b7-2288-48bc-bb00-0a7fb31ddfbc?trackbacks=true#commentAnchor
– He repeatedly chastised Senate Republicans for raising the subject of social issues.
– He stated he would let his teen age daughter make the ultimate decision regarding aborting his grandchild if she had an unplanned pregnancy.
– McCain’s acceptance and advocacy for the continued invasion of the U.S. by impoverished and unassimilated illegal aliens and his proviso for their eventual citizenship would insure the defeat of RTL efforts. This is because the illegal aliens do not have the discernment to recognize the redistribution of wealth, budget busting, socialist programs which are regularly advanced by the Democrat Party. The Main Stream Media would have no difficulty in convincing these new citizens to vote for Democrats who happen to also be pro-abortion. As examples, we cite the fate of RTL efforts in California and in the U.S. Congress.
We believe the above partial list shows why so many AZRTL members feel compelled to voice their disgust at this endorsement since Hayworth has not taken any positions against AZRTL priorities while McCain has. The PAC’s choice so weakens any future endorsement AZRTL PAC might give to other candidates that our members might wonder if their endorsed candidates really are the best on the life issues. It may be better for AZRTL to discontinue endorsements than to further destroy their credibility.
We leave in great sorrow, and would be even sadder if this discouragement with the PAC would be misconstrued as disappointment with current AZRTL leadership, especially Jinny and Joe Perron. They should only be applauded for standing up for the full AZRTL mission. Therefore, any comments you would like to make should be directed to the chairman of the AZRTL PAC, Walt Opaska at PAC@ArizonaRightToLife.org
Rob Haney, Past AZRTL PAC Member
Marne Haney, Past AZRTL Executive Board Member
*Earlier we had resigned from the PAC and AZRTL Executive Board when we were elected to AZGOP county and state leadership offices, to assuage any concerns regarding conflict of interests.